Thomas J. Meade Professor
The Meade Lab research focuses on inorganic coordination chemistry for the study of molecular imaging of in vivo gene expression and intracellular messengers, transition metal enzyme inhibitors, and electronic biosensors. The design, synthesis and physical properties of transition metal and lanthanide coordination complexes are the foundation of our research.
- Collauto A, Feintuch A, Qi M, Godt A, Meade TJ, Goldfarb D. “Gd(III) complexes as paramagnetic tags: Evaluation of the spin delocalization over the nuclei of the ligand” Journal of Magnetic Resonance (2016) Epub ahead of print 9 January 2016
- Nicholls FJ, Rotz MW, Ghuman H, MacRenaris KW, Meade TJ, Modo M. “DNA–gadolinium–gold nanoparticles for in vivo T1 MR imaging of transplanted human neural stem cells” Biomaterials, (2016) January, Volume 77, Pages 291–306. PMCID: PMC4684435
- MacRenaris KW, Zhidong M, Krueger RL, Carney CE, Meade TJ. “A Cell Permeable Esterase-Activated Ca(II)-Sensitive MRI Contrast Agent” Bioconjug Chem. 2016 Jan 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jiang B, Perrin L, Kats D, Meade TJ and Ameer G. “Enabling non-invasive assessment of an engineered endothelium on ePTFE vascular grafts without increasing oxidative stress” Biomaterials (2015), 69, 110-120. PMCID: PMC4570850
- Vistain LF, Rotz MW, Rathore R, Preslar AT, Meade TJ. “Targeted Delivery of Gold Nanoparticle Contrast Agents for Reporting Gene Detection by Magnetic Resonance Imaging” ChemComm, (2015), Dec 15;52(1):160-3. PMCID: PMC4679476
- Banerjee SR, Ngen EJ, Rotz MW, Kakkad S, Lisok A, Pracitto R, Pullambhatla M, Chen Z, Shah T, Artemov D, Meade TJ, Bhujwalla ZM and Pomper MG. “Synthesis and Evaluation of GdIII-Based Magnetic Resonance Contrast Agents for Molecular Imaging of Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen” Angewandte Chemie, International Edition (2015) 54, 10778-10782. PMCID: PMC4729199.
- Heffern MC, Reichova V, Coomes J, Harney A, Bajema EA, Meade TJ. “Tuning Cobalt(III) Schiff Base Complexes as Activated Protein Inhibitors.” Inorg Chem (2015) Sep 21;54(18):9066-74. PMCID: PMC4638226
- Carney CE, MacRenaris KW, Meade TJ. “Water-Soluble Lipophilic MR Contrast Agents for Cell Membrane Labeling” Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry (2015) 20, 971-7. PMCID: PMC4546878
- Vistain LF, Yamamoto N, Rathore R, Cha P, Meade TJ. “Targeted inhibition of Snail activity in breast cancer cells using a Co(III)-Ebox conjugate” ChemBioChem (2015) Sep 21;16(14):2065-72. PMCID: PMC4638217
- Nandwana V1, De M, Chu S, Jaiswal M, Rotz M, Meade TJ, Dravid VP. “Theranostic Magnetic Nanostructures (MNS) for Cancer”. Nanotechnology-Based Precision Tools for the Detection and Treatment of Cancer, Cancer Treatment and Research Series (2015), 166, 51-83. PMCID: PMC4494108
- Harrison VSR, Carney CE, MacRenaris KW, Waters EA , and Meade TJ, “A Multimeric Near IR-MR Contrast Agent for Multimodal In Vivo Imaging” JACS (2015) 137, 9108-9116 PMCID: PMC4512902.
- Carney, Christiane E.; Lenov, Ivan L.; Baker, Catherine J.; MacRenaris, Keith W.; Eckermann, Amanda L.; Sligar, Stephen G.; Meade, TJ. “Nanodiscs as a Modular Platform for Multimodal MR- Optical Imaging” Bioconjugate Chemistry (2015) 26, 899-905.
- Rotz MW, Culver KSB, Parigi G, MacRenaris KW, Luchinat C, Odom TW, Meade TJ, “High Relaxivity Gd(III)-DNA Gold Nanostars: Investigation of Shape Effects on Proton Relaxation” ACS Nano (2015) 9, 3385-96.
- Holbrook, R.M., Weinberg, D., Peterson, M., Weiss, E., Meade, T.J. “Light-Activated Protein Inhibition through Photoinduced Electron Transfer of a Ruthenium(II)-Cobalt(III) Bimetallic Complex” JACS (2015) 137, 3379-85.
- Hung AH, Holbrook RJ, Rotz MW, Glasscock CJ, Mansukhani ND ,MacRenaris KW, Manus LM, Duch MC, Dam KT, Hersam MC, and Meade TJ, “Graphene Oxide Enhances Cellular Delivery of Hydrophilic Small Molecules by Co-incubation” ACS Nano (2014) Oct 28;8(10):10168-77. PMCID: PMC4212791
- Townsend TR, Moyle-Heyrman G, Sukerkar PA, MacRenaris KW, Burdette JE, Meade TJ. “Progesterone-targeted Magnetic Resonance Imaging Probes” Bioconjugate Chemistry. (2014) 25(8), 1428-1437. PMCID: PMC4140536
- Raitsimring A,Dalaloyan A, Collauto A, Feintuch A, Meade TJ, Goldfarb D, “Zero Field Splitting Fluctuations Induced Phase Relaxation of Gd3+ in Frozen Solutions at Cryogenic Temperatures” Journal of Magnetic Resonance (2014), 248, 71-80. PMCID: PMC4495766
- Hill Lecturer, Duke University (2014)
- Catalyst Award, Northwestern University and the City of Evanston (2014)
- Fellow of the World Molecular Imaging Society (2012)
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society (2011)
- Society for Molecular Imaging Annual Exceptional Achievement Award
- Musselman Award for Visiting Scientist (2010)
- Illinois Biotechnology Industry Organization (iBIO) iCON Innovator Award (2009)
- Miller Professor, University of California Berkeley (2009)
- Northwestern University Excellence in Teaching Award (2008)
- William Beaumont Award: Wayne County Medical Society (2007)
- Allen & Constance Ford Distinguished Award, CaseWestern ReserveUniversity (2006)
- Eileen Foell Chair in Cancer Research, Northwestern University, (2005)
- Elected President – Society of Molecular Imaging - Membership>1,000 Chair (2005)
- Committee- Imaging in 2020 IV, (2005)
- FMC Award - Princeton University, (2004)
- Elkin Distinguished Investigators Cancer Lecturer, Emory University (2003)
- Neuroscience Award Lecture, Society for Neuro-Oncology (November 2002)
- National Academy of Engineering Lecturer, Cleveland, Ohio, (2000)
- Pendergast Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania (1999)
- American College of Neuropharmacology Lecturer (1999)
- Caltech Grubstakes Award (1996, 1998)