Michael R. Wasielewski Professor
Clare Hamilton Hall Professor of Chemistry; Director, Argonne-Northwestern Solar Energy Research (ANSER) Center; Executive Director, Institute for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern (ISEN)
Prof. Wasielewski’s research centers on light-driven charge transfer and transport in molecules and materials, photosynthesis, nanoscale materials for solar energy conversion, spin dynamics of multi-spin molecules, molecular materials for optoelectronics and spintronics, and time-resolved optical and electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy.
Exponential Distance Dependence of Photoinitiated Stepwise Electron Transfer in Donor-Bridge-Acceptor Molecules: Implications for Wire-like Behavior, A. Butler Ricks, D. T. Co, K. E. Brown, M. Wenninger, S. D. Karlen, Y. A. Berlin, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 4581-4588 (2012).
Ultrafast Photodriven Intramolecular Electron Transfer from an Iridium-Based Water-Oxidation Catalyst to Perylene Diimide Derivatives, M. T. Vagnini, A. L. Smeigh, J. D. Blakemore, S. W. Eaton, N. D. Schley, F. D’Souza, R. H. Crabtree, G. W. Brudvig, D. T. Co, and M. R. Wasielewski, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 109, 15651-15656 (2012).
Fast Photo-driven Electron Spin Coherence Transfer: A Quantum Gate Based on a Spin Exchange J-Jump, Lukas Kobr, Daniel M. Gardner, Amanda L. Smeigh, Scott M. Dyar, Steven D. Karlen, R. Carmieli, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 12430-12433 (2012).
Vibrational Dynamics of a Perylene-Perylenediimide Donor-Acceptor Dyad Probed with Femtosecond Stimulated Raman Spectroscopy, K. E. Brown, B. S. Veldkamp, D. T. Co, M. R. Wasielewski, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 3, 2362-2366 (2012).
Photoinitiated Multi-step Charge Separation and Ultrafast Charge Transfer Induced Dissociation in a Pyridyl-Linked Photosensitizer-Cobaloxime Assembly, B. S. Veldkamp, W.-S. Han, S. M. Dyar, S. W. Eaton, M. A. Ratner, and M. R. Wasielewski, Energy and Environ. Sci. 6, 1917-1928 (2013).
Photoselective DNA Hairpin Spin Switches, R. Carmieli, A. K. Thazhathveetil, F. D. Lewis, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 135, 10970-10973 (2013).
Interrogating the Photogenerated Ir(IV) State of a Water Oxidation Catalyst using Ultrafast Optical and X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy, M. T. Vagnini, M. W. Mara, M. R. Harpham, J. Huang, M. L. Shelby, L. X. Chen, and M. R. Wasielewski, Chem. Sci.4, 3863-3873 (2013).
Extending Photo-induced Charge Separation Lifetimes by using Supramolecular Design: Guanine-Perylenediimide G-Quadruplex, Y.-L. Wu, K. E. Brown, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 135, 13322-13325 (2013).
Singlet Exciton Fission in Polycrystalline Thin Films of a Slip-Stacked Perylenediimide, S. W. Eaton, L. E. Shoer, S. D. Karlen, S. M. Dyar, E. A. Margulies, B. S. Veldkamp, C. Ramanan, D. A. Hartzler, S. Savikhin, T. J. Marks, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc.135, 14701-14712 (2013).
Photodriven Charge Separation and Transport in Self-assembled Zinc Tetrabenzotetraphenylporphyrin and Perylenediimide Charge Conduits, V. V. Roznyatovskiy, R. Carmieli, S. M. Dyar, K. E. Brown, and M. R. Wasielewski, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 53, 3457-3461 (2014).
- Royal Society of Chemistry Environment Award, 2013
- Humboldt Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2013
- Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award, American Chemical Society, 2012
- R. Stephen Berry Lecturer, Telluride Science Center, 2010
- Frontiers of Chemistry Lecturer, Case Western Reserve University, 2010
- Clare Hamilton Hall Endowed Chair, Northwestern University, 2010
- Hutchison Lecturer, University of Rochester, 2009
- Kaufman Lecturer, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- The Porter Medal for Photochemistry, 2008
- Eminent Scholar Lecturer, University of Arizona, 2007
- James Flack Norris Award in Physical Organic Chemistry, American Chemical Society, 2006
- Closs Lecturer, University of Chicago, 2005
- I-APS Photochemistry Research Award, Inter-American Photochemical Society, 2004
- Pederson Lecturer, Dupont, Inc., 2003
- Weissberger-Williams Lecturer, Eastman Kodak Company, 2001
- W. Heinlen Hall Lecturer, Bowling Green State University, 1999
- R&D 100 Award (sponsored by R&D Magazine) for work in photorefractivity, 1996
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1995
- Holland Research School for Molecular Chemistry Lecturer, 1995
- R&D 100 Award (sponsored by R&D Magazine) for work in molecular switches, 1993
- Argonne Pacesetter Award, 1993
- W. E. Heraeus Foundation Fellow, University of Stuttgart, 1992
- Inaugural Lecturer, Center for Photomolecular Sciences, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, London, 1991
- Nodzu Memorial Lecturer, Kyoto University, 1991
- University of Chicago Award for Distinguished Performance at Argonne National Laboratory, 1989
- Elizabeth R. Norton Prize for Excellence in Research in Chemistry at the University of Chicago, 1975
- Fannie and John Hertz Foundation Fellow, 1972 1974
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1971