Chad Mirkin Professor
Materials Science and Engineering; Medicine; Biomedical Engineering; Chemical and Biological Engineering; Director of the International Institute for Nanotechnology
Mirkin group research focuses on developing methods for controlling the architecture of molecules and materials on the 1 – 100 nm length scale, understanding their fundamental properties, and utilizing such structures to develop novel analytical tools that can be applied in the areas of chemical and biological sensing, gene regulation, immunomodulation, lithography, catalysis, optics, and energy generation, storage, and conversion. Mirkin has pioneered the use of nanoparticle-biomolecule conjugates as synthons in materials science and the development of many nanoparticle-based extra- and intracellular biodiagnostic and therapeutic tools.
- Mirkin, C. A.; Letsinger, R. L.; Mucic, R. C.; Storhoff, J. J. “A DNA-Based Method for Rationally Assembling Nanoparticles into Macroscopic Materials,” Nature, 1996, 382, 607-609.
- Cutler, J. I.; Auyeung, E.; Mirkin, C. A. “Spherical Nucleic Acids,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 1376–1391.
- Langille, M. R.; Zheng, J.; Personick, M. L.; Mirkin, C. A. “Stepwise Evolution of Spherical Seeds into 20-Fold Twinned Icosahedra,” Science, 2012, 337, 954-957.
- Jensen, S. A.; Day, E. S.; Ko, C. H.; Hurley, L. A.; Luciano, J. P.; Kouri, F. M.; Merkel, T. J.; Luthi, A. J.; Patel, P. C.; Cutler, J. I.; Daniel, W. L.; Scott, A. W.; Rotz, M. W.; Meade, T. J.; Giljohann, D. A.; Mirkin, C. A.; Stegh, A. H. “Spherical Nucleic Acid Nanoparticle Conjugates as an RNAi-Based Therapy for Glioblastoma,” Science Trans. Med., 2013, 5, 209ra152.
- Brown, K. A.; Eichelsdoerfer, D. J.; Shim, W.; Rasin, B.; Boya, R.; Liao, X.; Schmucker, A. L.; Liu, G.; Mirkin, C. A. “A Cantilever-Free Approach to Dot-Matrix Nanoprinting,” Proc. Natl. Aca. Sci., 2013, 110, 12853-12854.
- Halo, T. L.; McMahon, K. M.; Angeloni, N. L.; Xu, Y.; Wang, W.; Chinen, A. B.; Malin, D.; Strekalova, E.; Cryns, V. L.; Cheng, C.; Mirkin, C. A.; Thaxton, C. S. “NanoFlares for the Detection, Isolation, and Culture of Live Tumor Cells from Human Blood,” Proc. Natl. Aca. Sci., 2014, 111, 17104-17109.
- Radovic-Moreno, A. F.; Chernyak, N.; Mader, C. C.; Nallagatla, S.; Kang, R.; Hao, L.; Walker, D. A.; Halo, T. L.; Merkel, T. J.; Rische, C.; Ananatatmula, S.; Burkhart, M.; Mirkin, C. A.; Gryaznov, S. M. “Immunomodulatory Spherical Nucleic Acids,” Proc. Natl. Aca. Sci., 2015, 112, 3892-3897.
- Jones, M. R.; Seeman, N. C.; Mirkin, C. A. “Programmable Materials and the Nature of the DNA Bond,” Science, 2015, 347, 1260901.
- Ozel, T.; Bourret, G. R.; Mirkin, C. A. “Coaxial Lithography,” Nature Nanotechnology, 2015, 10, 319-324.
- Lifschitz, A. M.; Young, R. M.; Mendez-Arroyo, J.; Stern, C. L.; McGuirk, C. M.; Wasielewski, M. R.; Mirkin, C. A. “An Allosteric Photoredox Catalyst Inspired by Photosynthetic Machinery,” Nature Communications, 2015, 6, 6541
- 2015 American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering College Fellow
- 2015 Raymond and Beverly Sackler Prize in Convergence Research
- 2015 Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) Centenary Prize
- 2014 National Security Science and Engineering Fellowship (NSSEFF) Award
- 2014 Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher (2002-2012)
- 2014 American Chemical Society (ACS) Nano Lectureship Award for the Americas
- 2014 Vittorio deNora Award, The Electrochemical Society
- 2014 Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2013 National Academy of Inventors Fellow
- 2013 Thomson Reuters Citation Laureate
- 2013 Linus Pauling Medal
- 2013 RSC's "Chemistry World" Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- 2013 Material Research Society Fellow
- 2013 Walston Chubb Award for Innovation
- 2012 ACS Award for Creative Invention
- 2011 Van’t Hoff Prize
- 2011 Elected Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2010 Elected Member of the National Academy of Medicine
- 2010 Elected Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 2009 $500,000 Lemelson-MIT Prize
- 2009 Member, President’s Council of Advisors on Science & Technology (PCAST, Obama Administration)
- 2009 Elected Member of the National Academy of Engineering