Thomas J. Meade
Eileen M. Foell Professor in Cancer Research
The Meade Lab research focuses on inorganic coordination chemistry for the study of molecular imaging of in vivo gene expression and intracellular messengers, transition metal enzyme inhibitors, and electronic biosensors. The design, synthesis and physical properties of transition metal and lanthanide coordination complexes are the foundation of our research.
- Preslar AT, Lilley LM, Sato K, Zhang S, Chia ZK, Stupp SI, and Meade TJ “Calcium induced morphological transitions in Peptide Amphiphiles detected by 19F-Magnetic Resonance Imaging” ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. (2017) Nov 10. doi: 10.1021/acsami.7b07828. [Epub ahead of print].
- Verma KD; Massing JO; Kamper SG; Carney CE; MacRenaris; Basilion JP; Meade TJ. “Synthesis and evaluation of MR probes for targeted-reporter imaging,” Chem. Sci., (2017) Aug 1;8(8):5764-5768. PMCID: PMC5621504
- Hung AH, Lilley LM, Hu F, Harrison VS, Meade TJ. “Magnetic barcode imaging for contrast agents.” Magn Reson Med. (2017) Mar;77(3):970-978. PMCID: PMC5055837
- Rammohan N; Holbrook RJ; Rotz MW; MacRenaris KW; Preslar AT; Carney CE; Reichova V; Meade TJ. “Gd(III)-Gold Nanoconjugates Provide Remarkable Cell Labeling for High Field MR Imaging” Bioconjug Chem. (2017) Jan 18;28(1):153-160. PMCID: PMC5243168
- Preslar AT, Tantakitti F, Park KE, Zhang S, Stupp S, Meade TJ. “19F-Magnetic Resonance Imaging Signals from Peptide Amphiphile Nanostructures are Strongly Affected by their Shape" ACS Nano (2016) Aug 23;10(8):7376-84. PMCID: PMC5036169.
- Holbrook RJ, Rammohan N, Rotz MW, MacRenaris KW, Preslar AT, Meade TJ.” Gd(III)-Dithiolane Gold Nanoparticles for T1-Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Pancreas,” Nano Letters (2016), 16(5), 3202-3209. PMCID: PMC5045863.
- MacRenaris KW, Zhidong M, Krueger RL, Carney CE, Meade TJ. “Cell Permeable Esterase-Activated Ca(II)-Sensitive MRI Contrast Agent” (2016) Bioconjug Chem. Feb 17; 27(2): 465–473. PMCID: PMC4776747.
- Vistain LF, Rotz MW, Rathore R, Preslar AT, Meade TJ. “Targeted Delivery of Gold Nanoparticle Contrast Agents for Reporting Gene Detection by Magnetic Resonance Imaging” ChemComm, (2015), Dec 15;52(1):160-3. PMCID: PMC4679476.
- Rammohan N, MacRenaris KW, Moore LK, Parigi G, Mastarone DJ, Manus LM, Lilley LM, Preslar AT, Waters EA, Filicko A, Luchinat C, Ho D, Meade TJ. “Nanodiamond-Gadolinium(III) Aggregates for Tracking Cancer Growth In Vivo at High Field” NanoLett (2016) Dec 14;16(12):7551-7564. PMCID: PMC27960515
- Heffern MC, Reichova V, Coomes J, Harney A, Bajema EA, Meade TJ. “Tuning Cobalt(III) Schiff Base Complexes as Activated Protein Inhibitors.” Inorg Chem. (2015) Sep 21; 54(18): 9066–9074. PMCID: PMC4638226
- Carney CE, MacRenaris KW, Meade TJ. “Water-Soluble Lipophilic MR Contrast Agents for Cell Membrane Labeling” Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry (2015) Sep;20(6):971-7. PMCID: PMC4546878
- Vistain LF, Yamamoto N, Rathore R, Cha P, Meade TJ. “Targeted inhibition of Snail activity in breast cancer cells using a Co(III)-Ebox conjugate” Chembiochem. 2015 Sep; 16(14): 2065–2072. PMCID:PMC4638217
- Harrison VSR, Carney CE, Macrenaris KW, Waters EA, Meade TJ. "A Multimeric Near IR-MR Contrast Agent for Multimodal In Vivo Imaging" J Am Chem Soc. (2015) Jul 22;137(28):9108-16. PMCID: PMC4512902
- Carney CE, Lenov IL, Baker CJ, MacRenaris, KW, Eckermann AL, Sligar SG, Meade TJ. “Nanodiscs as a Modular Platform for Multimodal MR-Optical Imaging” Bioconj Chem (2015), May 20;26(5):899-905. PMCID: PMC4486023.
- Rotz MW, Culver KSB, Parigi G, MacRenaris KW, Luchinat C, Odom TW, Meade TJ. “High Relaxivity Gd(III)-DNA Gold Nanostars: Investigation of Shape Effects on Proton Relaxation” ACS Nano. (2015) Mar 24;9(3):3385-96. PMCID:PMC4489565.
- Holbrook RM, Weinberg D, Peterson M, Weiss E, Meade TJ. "Light-Activated Protein Inhibition through Photoinduced Electron Transfer of a Ruthenium(II)-Cobalt(III) Bimetallic Complex" JACS (2015) Mar 11;137(9):3379-85. PMCID: PMC4487626.
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors (2017)
- Stony Brook University Franklin Award Lecture (2017)
- Mahler Lecturer, University of Texas, Austin (2016)
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2016)
- Associate Editor, Chemical Science (2016)
- Elected Fellow, National Academy of Inventors (2016)
- Elected Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2016)
- The J. Stieglitz Award: University of Chicago and the American Chemical Society (2016)
- Elected Fellow, American Association of Advancement of Science (2015)
- Hill Lecturer, Duke University (2014)
- Catalyst Award, Northwestern University and the City of Evanston (2014)
- Fellow of the World Molecular Imaging Society (2012)
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society (2011)
- Society for Molecular Imaging Annual Exceptional Achievement Award
- Musselman Award for Visiting Scientist (2010)
- Illinois Biotechnology Industry Organization (iBIO) iCON Innovator Award (2009)
- Miller Professor, University of California Berkeley (2009)
- Northwestern University Excellence in Teaching Award (2008)
- William Beaumont Award: Wayne County Medical Society (2007)
- Allen & Constance Ford Distinguished Award, CaseWestern ReserveUniversity (2006)
- Eileen Foell Chair in Cancer Research, Northwestern University, (2005)
- Elected President – Society of Molecular Imaging - Membership>1,000 Chair (2005)
- Committee- Imaging in 2020 IV, (2005)
- FMC Award - Princeton University, (2004)
- Elkin Distinguished Investigators Cancer Lecturer, Emory University (2003)
- Neuroscience Award Lecture, Society for Neuro-Oncology (November 2002)
- National Academy of Engineering Lecturer, Cleveland, Ohio, (2000)
- Pendergast Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania (1999)
- American College of Neuropharmacology Lecturer (1999)
- Caltech Grubstakes Award (1996, 1998)