The Department of Chemistry supports five student organizations:
- Phi Lambda Upsilon
- The Alpha Gamma chapter of PLU is determined to promote an enjoyable and broad learning experience for chemistry graduate students at Northwestern University. We enhance each member’s ability to become active in the department and the greater chemical community by providing volunteer opportunities and holding social events and career panels throughout the year. The chapter also sponsors the annual Marple-Schweitzer Lecture, where we recognize graduate-level excellence in research, teaching, and activism through a series of awards. Additionally, we encourage conference travel by offering a series of travel grants. Board recruitment happens in mid-July after second-year students have completed their qualifying exams; only PhD candidates are eligible to become members of PLU and serve on its board.
- NU BonD is a graduate student-led organization whose primary goal is to foster a community built on inclusivity and diversity of thought, ideas, and backgrounds within the Department of Chemistry.
- Research Safety Student Initiative (RSSI)
- The mission of RSSI is to develop and promote a stronger culture of safety across research laboratories at Northwestern University through an increased awareness of safety hazards and a more positive mindset towards safe laboratory practices. In conjunction with ORS, we aim to encourage university-wide commitment to safety by providing education, resources and training.
- Graduate Liaison Committee (GLC)
GLC serves as liaisons between the chemistry graduate student body and the chemistry faculty. The GLC aims to facilitate positive and productive student-faculty interactions, foster department community, suggest and enact departmental change in accordance with feedback from the student body, and work with the department and other student organizations to address graduate student concerns.
- Women in Science and Engineering Research (WISER)
- (WISER) is a graduate student organization at Northwestern University. We work towards building community among graduate women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields, promoting & advancing women's leadership in STEM, and sponsoring workshops & seminars focused on professional skills development for early-career women in the sciences. Board recruitment typically occurs in May; all graduate students in STEM-related fields at Northwestern are eligible to serve on the board.
- Chemistry Graduate Student Teachers (CGST)
- The mission of CGST is to positively impact the departmental culture around teaching and learning through professional development of chemistry graduate student teachers and the improvement of undergraduate chemistry education at Northwestern. CGST initiatives include monthly lunch discussions on topics in teaching and learning as well as support in organizing and facilitating new TA training. To stay up to date on events and get more involved join the listserv at CGST@listserv.it.northwestern.edu. 1.) Email firstname.lastname@example.org 2.) Leave the subject line blank. 3.) In the body type "SUBSCRIBE CGST FirstName Last Name" (without quotes).