Elad Harel Assistant Professor
We are interested in understanding the connection between electronic structure and dynamics in complex, condensed-phase biomolecules. The three major areas of focus are on the use of light to control biological function, elucidating the role of the environment (e.g. solvent) on the function of proteins, and designing artificial systems that utilize coherent as well as incoherent processes to efficiently harvest and transport energy. We are developing advanced optical spectroscopic and imaging tools that in large part build on ideas from magnetic resonance. In particular, we are implementing novel correlation methods that can provide high-resolution maps of electronic structure at all relevant energy and temporal scales. Our research is highly interdisciplinary and crosses boundaries into biology, materials chemistry, mathematics, and engineering.
- Spencer, A.P., Spokoyny, B., Ray, S., Sarvari, F., Harel, E. Mapping Multidimensional Electronic Structure and Ultrafast Dynamics with Single-Element Detection and Compressive Sensing, Nat. Commun., 2016, 7, 10434
- Spokoyny, B., Koh, C., Harel, E. Stable and High-Power Few Cycle Supercontinuum for 2D Ultrabroadband Electronic Spectroscopy. Opt. Lett., 2015, 40, 1014-1017
- Spencer, A., Spokoyny, B., Harel, E. Enhanced-Resolution Single-Shot 2DFT Spectroscopy by Spatial Spectral Interferometry. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2015, 6, 945-950
- Spokoyny, B.; Harel, E. Mapping the Vibronic Structure of a Molecule by Few-Cycle Continuum Two-Dimensional Spectroscopy in a Single Pulse. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2014, 5, 2808-2814.
- Harel, E.; Rupich, S. M.; Schaller, R. D.; Talapin, D. V.; Engel, G. S. Measurement of Electronic Splitting in Pbs Quantum Dots by Two-Dimensional Nonlinear Spectroscopy. PhRvB 2012, 86.
- Harel, E.; Engel, G. Quantum Coherence Spectroscopy Reveals Complex Dynamics in Bacterial Light-Harvesting Complex 2 (Lh2). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2012, 109, 706-711.
- Harel, E. Long Range Excitonic Transport in a Biomimetic System Inspired by the Bacterial Light-Harvesting Apparatus. J. Chem. Phys. 2012, 136.
- Fidler, A.; Harel, E.; Long, P.; Engel, G. Two-Dimensional Spectroscopy Can Distinguish between Decoherence and Dephasing of Zero-Quantum Coherences. J. Phys. Chem. A 2012, 116, 282-289.
- Ben-Eliezer, N.; Solomon, E.; Harel, E.; Nevo, N.; Frydman, L. Fully Refocused Multi-Shot Spatiotemporally Encoded Mri: Robust Imaging in the Presence of Metallic Implants. MRMPB 2012, 25, 433-442.
- Harel, E.; Long, P. D.; Engel, G. S. Single-Shot Ultrabroadband Two-Dimensional Electronic Spectroscopy of the Light-Harvesting Complex Lh2. Opt. Lett. 2011, 36, 1665-7.
- Harel, E.; Fidler, A.; Engel, G. Single-Shot Gradient-Assisted Photon Echo Electronic Spectroscopy. J. Phys. Chem. A 2011, 115, 3787-3796.
- Fidler, A.; Harel, E.; Long, P.; Engel, G. Two-Dimensional Spectroscopy Can Distinguish between Decoherence and Dephasing of Zero-Quantum Coherences (in Press). The Journal of Physical Chemistry 2011.
- Panitchayangkoon, G.; Hayes, D.; Fransted, K.; Caram, J.; Harel, E.; Wen, J.; Blankenship, R.; Engel, G. Long-Lived Quantum Coherence in Photosynthetic Complexes at Physiological Temperature. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2010, 107, 12766-12770.
- Harel, E.; Fidler, A.; Engel, G. Real-Time Mapping of Electronic Structure with Single-Shot Two-Dimensional Electronic Spectroscopy. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2010, 107, 16444-16447.
- Harel, E. Lab-on-a-Chip Detection by Magnetic Resonance Methods. Prog. Nucl. Magn. Reson. Spectrosc. 2010, 57, 293-305.
- Fidler, A.; Harel, E.; Engel, G. Dissecting Hidden Couplings Using Fifth-Order Three-Dimensional Electronic Spectroscopy. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2010, 1, 2876-2880.
- Bajaj, V.; Paulsen, J.; Harel, E.; Pines, A. Zooming in on Microscopic Flow by Remotely Detected Mri. Science 2010, 330, 1078-1081.
- 2016 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), Northwestern
- 2014 Associated Student Government Faculty Honor Roll, Northwestern University
- 2013 Army Young Investigator Awardee, Northwestern University
- 2013 Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering, Northwestern University
- 2013 Dreyfus Postdoctoral Program Award, Northwestern University
- 2012 Agilent Early Career Professor Award Finalist
- 2009 ICAM Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Chicago, IL