Director, Argonne-Northwestern Solar Energy Research (ANSER) Center
Room: Ryan 1010
Wasielewski Research Group Website
Division: Physical, Organic
Research Interests: Organic, Physical Organic, Photochemistry, Supramolecular Chemistry, Physical, Energy Related, Biophysical, Energy and Environmental, Nanoscience, Materials
B.S.: University of Chicago 1971
Ph.D.: University of Chicago 1975
Associate Research Coordinator: Ben Nelson
Prof. Wasielewski's research centers on light-driven charge transfer and transport in molecules and materials, photosynthesis, nanoscale materials for solar energy conversion, spin dynamics of multi-spin molecules, molecular materials for optoelectronics and spintronics, and time-resolved optical and electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy.
Towards a n-Type Molecular Wire: Electron Hopping within Linearly-linked Perylenediimide Oligomers, T. M. Wilson, M. J. Tauber, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 8952-8957 (2009).
Direct Measurement of Photoinduced Charge Separation Distances in Donor-Acceptor Systems for Artificial Photosynthesis using OOP-ESEEM, R. Carmieli, Q. Mi, A. Butler Ricks, E. M. Giacobbe, S. M. Mickley, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 8372-8373 (2009).
Photoinitiated Charge Transport through ?-Stacked Electron Conduits in Supramolecular Ordered Assemblies of Donor-Acceptor Triads, J. E. Bullock, R. Carmieli, S. M. Mickley, J. Vura-Weis, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 11919-11929 (2009).
Spin-Selective Charge Transport Pathways through p-Oligophenylene-Linked Donor-Bridge-Acceptor Molecules, A. M. Scott, T. Miura, A. Butler Ricks, Z. E. X. Dance, E. M. Giacobbe, M. T. Colvin, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 17655-17666 (2009).
Self-Assembly Strategies for Integrating Light Harvesting and Charge Separation in Artificial Photosynthetic Systems, M. R. Wasielewski, Acc. Chem. Res. 42, 1910-1921 (2009).
Interrogating the Intramolecular Charge-Transfer State of a Julolidine-Anthracene Donor-Acceptor Molecule with Femtosecond Stimulated Raman Spectroscopy, J. V. Lockard, A. Butler Ricks, D. T. Co, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 1, 215-218 (2010).
Self-Assembly of a Hexagonal Supramolecular Light-Harvesting Array from Chlorophyll Trefoil Building Blocks, V. L. Gunderson, S. M. Mickley, and M. R. Wasielewski, Chem. Commun. 46, 401-403 (2010).
Time-resolved EPR Studies of Charge Recombination and Triplet State Formation within Donor-Bridge-Acceptor Molecules having Wire-like Oligofluorene Bridges, T. Miura, R. Carmieli, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Phys. Chem. A 114, 5769-5778 (2010).
Crossover from Single-Step Tunneling to Wire-like Multi-Step Hopping for Molecular Triplet Energy Transfer, J. Vura-Weis, S. H. Abdelwahed, R. Shukla, R. Rathore, M. A. Ratner, and M. R. Wasielewski, Science 328 1547-1550 (2010).
Ultrafast Photodriven Intramolecular Electron Transfer from a Zinc Porphyrin to a Readily-reduced Diiron Hydrogenase Model Complex, A. P. S. Samuel, D. T. Co, C. L. Stern, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 8813-8815 (2010).
- R. Stephen Berry Lecturer, Telluride Science Center, 2010
- Frontiers of Chemistry Lecturer, Case Western Reserve University, 2010
- Clare Hamilton Hall Endowed Chair, Northwestern University, 2010
- Hutchison Lecturer, University of Rochester, 2009
- Kaufman Lecturer, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- The Porter Medal for Photochemistry, 2008
- Eminent Scholar Lecturer, University of Arizona, 2007
- James Flack Norris Award in Physical Organic Chemistry, American Chemical Society, 2006
- Closs Lecturer, University of Chicago, 2005
- I-APS Photochemistry Research Award, Inter-American Photochemical Society, 2004
- Pederson Lecturer, Dupont, Inc., 2003
- Weissberger-Williams Lecturer, Eastman Kodak Company, 2001
- W. Heinlen Hall Lecturer, Bowling Green State University, 1999
- R&D 100 Award (sponsored by R&D Magazine) for work in photorefractivity, 1996
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1995
- Holland Research School for Molecular Chemistry Lecturer, 1995
- R&D 100 Award (sponsored by R&D Magazine) for work in molecular switches, 1993
- Argonne Pacesetter Award, 1993
- W. E. Heraeus Foundation Fellow, University of Stuttgart, 1992
- Inaugural Lecturer, Center for Photomolecular Sciences, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, London, 1991
- Nodzu Memorial Lecturer, Kyoto University, 1991
- University of Chicago Award for Distinguished Performance at Argonne National Laboratory, 1989
- Elizabeth R. Norton Prize for Excellence in Research in Chemistry at the University of Chicago, 1975
- Fannie and John Hertz Foundation Fellow, 1972 1974
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1971