Clare Boothe Luce Assistant Professor
Irving M. Klotz Assistant Professor
Room: Tech K330
Weiss Research Group Website
Research Interests: Inorganic, Nanoparticles and Surface Science, Physical, Analytical, Energy Related, Catalysis, Energy and Environmental, Nanoscience, Materials
A.B.: Princeton University 2000
Ph.D.: Northwestern University 2005
Program Assistant: Tory Helgeson
We are interested in the fundamental physical chemistry of colloidal semiconductor quantum dots in both the solution and solid phase. In particular, we want to map the surface chemistry of these nanocrystals to their optical and electronic properties. We study these systems with a variety of structural, analytical, optical and electrical methods of characterization, including ultrafast transient absorption and time-resolved photoluminescence, coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy (CARS), and current-voltage measurements. The goal is to understand the mechanisms by which photoexcited nanostructures dissipate their energy, whether it be radiative or non-radiative decay, energy transfer, or charge transfer, and how we can use organic ligands to control which pathway the system takes.
- Malicki, M.; Knowles, K.E.; Weiss, E.A. Gating of Hole Transfer from Photoexcited PbS Quantum Dots to Aminoferrocene by the Ligand Shell of the Dots, Chem. Commun., Special “Emerging Investigators” Issue, “Advance Article”, DOI: 10.1039/C2CC32895J (2012).
- Tagliazucchi, M.; Amin, V; Schneebeli, S.T.; Stoddart, J.F.; Weiss, E.A. High-contrast photopatterning of photoluminescence within quantum dot films through degradation of a charge-transfer quencher, Adv. Mater. (Frontispiece), 24, 3617 – 3621 (2012).
- McArthur, E.A.; Godbe, J.M.; Tice, D.B.; Weiss, E.A. A Study of the Binding of Cyanine Dyes to Colloidal Quantum Dots using Spectral Signatures of Dye Aggregation, J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 6136-6142 (2012).
- Morris-Cohen, A.J.; Vasilenko, V.; Amin, V.A.; Reuter, M.; Weiss, E.A. A Model for Binding of Ligands to Colloidal Quantum Dots with Concentration-Dependent Surface Structure, ACS Nano, 6, 557-565 (2012).
- Knowles, K.E.; Frederick, M.T.; Tice, D.B.; Morris-Cohen, A.J., Weiss, E.A. Colloidal Quantum Dots: Think Outside the (Particle-in-a-)Box. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 3, 18-26 (2012).
- Frederick, M.T.; Cass, L.C.; Amin, V.A.; Weiss, E.A. A Molecule to Detect and Perturb the Confinement of Charge Carriers in Quantum Dots, Nano Lett., 11, 5455-5460 (2011).
- Morris-Cohen, A.J.; Frederick, M.T.; Cass, L.C.; Weiss, E.A. Simultaneous Determination of the Adsorption Constant and the Photoinduced Electron Transfer Rate for a CdS Quantum Dot-Viologen Complex with Transient Absorption Spectroscopy, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 133, 10146–10154 (2011).
- NU-Argonne Early Career Investigator Award for Energy Research (2011)
- A.P. Sloan Research Fellowship (2011)
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (2010)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) via DoD(ARO) 2010
- Department of Energy Early Career Research Award 2010
- Dreyfus Foundation Postdoctoral Program in Environmental Chemistry Award (two-year grant to support a postdoctoral fellow) 2009
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award 2009
- Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award 2008
- Dow Chemical Company Teacher-Scholar Award 2008
- Clare Boothe Luce Professorship 2008
- ACS Petroleum Research Fund Postdoctoral Energy Fellowship 2005
- Northwestern University Graduate Presidential Fellowship 2004
- The Link Foundation Doctoral Energy Fellowship 2002