Room: Tech NG91
Hoffman Research Group Website
Division: Physical, Inorganic
Research Interests: Inorganic, Materials, Physical/Analytical
B.S.: University of Chicago
Ph.D.: California Institute of Technology
Program Assistant: Alice Christensen
Our research involves electron-nuclear double resonance study of metallo-enzymes, long-range electron transfer between proteins, and new macro-cycles for solid-state and biomedical applications.
"Climbing Nitrogenase: Towards the Mechanism of Enzymatic Nitrogen Fixation," Hoffman, B. M.; Dean, D. R.; Seefeldt, L. C. Acc. Chem. Res. 2009, 42, 609-619.
"Identification of the Protonated Oxygenic Ligands of Ribonucleotide Reductase Intermediate X," Shanmugam, M.; Doan, P. E.; Lees, N. S.; Stubbe, J.; Hoffman, B. M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 3370-3376.
"Electrostatic Redesign of the [Myoglobin, Cytochrome b5] Interface To Create a Well-Defined Docked Complex with Rapid Interprotein Electron Transfer," Xiong, P.; Nocek, J. M.; Griffin, A. K. K.; Wang, J.; Hoffman, B. M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 6938-6939.
"ENDOR Spectroscopy Shows Guanine N1 Binds to [4Fe-4S] Cluster II of the S-adenosyl methionine-dependent enzyme MoaA - Mechanistic Implications " Lees, N. S.; Hänzelmann, P.; Hernandez, H. L.; Subramanian, S.; Schindelin, H.; Johnson, M. K.; Hoffman, B. M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 9184–9185.
"EPR and ENDOR Characterization of the Reactive Intermediates in the Generation of NO by Cryoreduced Oxy-Nitric Oxide Synthase from G. stearothermophilus," Davydov, R.; Sudhamsu, J.; Lees, N. S.; Crane, B. R.; Hoffman, B. M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 14493-14507.
"A Chiral Porphyrazine Near-IR Optical Imaging Agent Exhibiting Preferential Tumor Accumulation," Trivedi, E. R.; Harney, A. S.; Olive, M. B.; Podgorski, I.; Moin, K.; Sloane, B. F.; Barrett, A. G. M.; Meade, T. J.; Hoffman, B. M. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2009, In Press
- Member, NationalAcademy of Sciences
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Bruker Prize, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Gold Medal International EPR Society (IES)
- Zavoisky Prize from the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Fellow, International Society of Magnetic Resonance (ISMAR)
- Frontiers in Biological Chemistry Award
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellow
- Charles E. and Emma H. Morrison Professor of Chemistry
- Career Development Award, National Institutes of Health
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Chair, NIH-BMT Study Section
- Chair, Bioinorganics Subdivision, American Chemical Society
- NAS-NRC Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology